About the municipality
Torrox is located in La Axarquía, a region that because of its geographical layout offers an eternal spring. This village consists of two separate areas: firstly the village, located a few kilometres from the coast in the upper valley of the river of its name and which retains the characteristic features of the white villages of Arab origin, whose main activity is modern agriculture, greenhouse and subtropical products. In addition, its coastline, which is intended for sun and sand holidays with a wealth of hotels and clean, well looked-after beaches.
Besides its inland and coastal beauty spots and the subtropical landscape where mountains merge into its seven blue flag beaches, this area is home to a lighthouse near which important archaeological remains from the Roman period are to be found. The Phoenicians and Greeks carried out commercial activities along its 8 kilometres of coastline, but it was Romans who founded an important factory-town at the mouth of the River Argentino, which means "silver river" (on a site now known as Punta de Torrox or Faro de Torrox), which was dependent on the larger Caviclum —the current town of Torrox—. A prosperous Roman city founded in the 1st century which underwent continuous growth, reaching its peak in the 4th and 5th centuries before being occupied by the Visigoths and, in the 8th century, the Arabs.
During the Andalusian-Arabic period, Torrox was known throughout the Mediterranean because of its production and sale of silk fabrics, sugar cane plantations, oil, almonds and figs. At the time of the conquest by the Catholic Monarchs in 1487, Torrox consisted of three neighbouring hamlets —Alhaguer, Almedina and Alhandac— thatwere protected by the Torrox Castle which, in that time, gave its name to the town. The definitive conquest of Torrox by the Christians did not come until 1488, after a brief spell during which the Moslem leader El-Zagal took control of the town and its castle.
Afterwards, the sugar cane exploitation ushered in prosperous times in the 19th century, and a number of the town's most noteworthy houses and buildings date back to this era, such as the sugar factory, built in 1890.
Nowaydays, Torrox Costa has become a jewel in the crown of Costa del Sol. It can be considered a seaside resort with a superb promenade with shops, boutiques and restaurants and beautiful beaches among which El Morche, Torcasol, Ferrara, Calaceite or Peñoncillo stand out.
Do not hesitate to visit the web page of the tourist office of Torrox in order to discover more information about this interesting town!
About the playing field
The sport venue is located in "Zona Deportiva Ferrara" (Ferrara Sports Area), which is right between the Ibersotar Hotel and the Ferrara Promenade. It counts on white sand brought from the bay of Cadiz, more technically specific for the practice of this sport. The excellent characteristics of the Ferrara Sports Area have led it to be the venue for several national and international championships, such as the Spanish Beach Handball Cup or the EBT Finals.